Apdex (Application Performance Index) is an open standard developed by an alliance of companies. It defines a standard method for reporting and comparing the performance of software applications in computing. Its purpose is to convert measurements into insights about user satisfaction, by specifying a uniform way to analyze and report on the degree to which measured performance meets user expectations.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apdex#Apdex_method for more information about Apdex.
Apdex Score Calculation in Transaction and Full Page Load Monitors
You can set up Apdex score calculation in Monitis Transaction and Full Page Load (FPL) monitoring. The Apdex score (0-1) will be calculated for the transaction or full page load test duration and shown on the monitor module.
To set up Apdex score in your Transaction or FPL monitor, you need first to define a Target for the test duration.
The Target is the maximum time it should take the transaction or full page load test to complete to satisfy the user. All the monitoring tests completed by the monitor in a time which is less than or equal to the Target are assumed to be satisfying the user. All the tests completed in a time more than the Target are assumed not to be satisfying the user.
Your Transaction or FPL monitor runs tests at your set frequency. For each test, depending on the transaction or full page load duration returned by the monitor one of the below Apdex counts is incremented:
- Satisfied: if the test duration is less than or equal to the Target.
- Tolerating: if the test duration is greater than the Target and less than or equal to four times the target (4 x Target).
- Frustrated: if test duration is greater than 4 x Target.
The Apdex score is calculated then for the chosen time range as:
Apdext = (Satisfied Count + Tolerating Count / 2) / Total Tests
where the sub-script t is the Target transaction or full page load test duration, and the tolerable time is assumed to be 4 times the target time.
Set Up Apdex Score in Transaction or Full Page Load Monitor
To set up Apdex score on a Transaction or Full Page Load monitor follow the steps below.
Go to the monitor settings.
Go to the SLA and Apdex tab.
Under Apdex Threshold enter the target time. For example, if you think that the time to complete the transaction flow must not exceed 3 sec to ensure your users’ satisfaction, enter that number into the field.
You will see that:
- The Satisfied threshold will show a range: 0 – Apdex Threshold
- As in Apdex score calculation the tolerable time is assumed to be 4 times the target time the Tolerating threshold will show a range: Satisfied – 4 times the Apdex Threshold.
- The Frustrated threshold will show a range of Tolerating+.Click Save when finished.
The Apdex score will now be available on your Transaction monitor.
– For Transaction monitors, by default, the Apdex threshold field value is blank, meaning that Apdex score is not calculated by default and you need to set it up manually by providing the Apdex threshold value.
– For new Full Page Load Monitors, by default, the Apdex threshold value is set to 2.5 sec. and the Apdex score is calculated. You can change the Apdex threshold value or delete it if you do not want the Apdex score to be calculated for the monitor. For the existing FPL monitors, by default, the Apdex threshold value is blank and the Apdex score is not calculated: you need to set it up manually by providing the Apdex threshold value.
View Apdex Score on Transaction Monitor
Apdex score is available only for:
- The last 24 hours
- A specific date
To see the percentages of Satisfied, Tolerating and Frustrated tests click the arrow next to the Apdex score value.
Switching off a location will exclude it from Apdex score calculation.
Apdex Daily Score Report
Follow the steps below to add Apdex Daily Score Report in your Monitis dashboard.
Go to the Reports menu and select Custom Reports.
Click Create Report and select Transactions.
Provide a name for the report.
In the Add Transaction Report window select the Daily Apdex score radio button.
Select the monitor you want from the list.
Select the report period. You can select a specific month or week, the current or the previous month.
Check the Add to tab box if you want this report to be added to the current tab in your Monitis dashboard.
The report will be added to the list of your custom reports.
You can use the context menu next to the report to add it to current tab at any time, edit or delete.
The report module is a bar chart that shows the daily Apdex score and the percentages of the Satisfied, Tolerating and Frustrated users.