This guide shows how to create and configure custom monitors via wizard, and push data using REST API or Smart Agent.
1. Open the custom monitor wizard from the menu:
2. Fill in a monitor name and select the monitor group. Fill in the metric name and metric label, select the metric type and provide the unit of measure (optional). You can add up to 10 metrics by clicking the green “+” button.
3. Click the Add button to add the new custom monitor module to your dashboard tab.
Now you can specify how your monitor should receive data. Click the Configure Data Source button and the monitor settings dialog will pop up with the Data Source tab selected (you can also access it by opening the monitor settings from the context menu and going to the Data Source tab).
4. You can send your monitor data by one of two ways. One is via the Monitis REST API, by using the REST API SDK (currently available only for Java). Select “Via REST API” in the Data push method drop-down list, then choose the REST API SDK and you will be provided with a download link for SDK and a code snippet that you can add to your scheduler. There is also a link to Monitis REST API documentation.
The other option of sending monitor data is via the Monitis Smart Agent. Select “Via Smart Agent Scheduler” as data push method, then select your agent in the Agent drop-down menu (your agent must be the version 4.02.19 or higher for Windows and 4.03.15 or higher for Linux and in running state so that it is shown in the list). You will have to provide a script which executes your check and outputs data in JSON format as shown in the text area below. The script must be added to the folder shown in the Add your script to the following directory field. If the folder doesn’t exist, you should create it. Also make sure to give execute permission to your script file. Fill in the “Script name” field with the file name of your script. Then select the Poll interval and click Save.
5. You can also view/add/edit/delete your custom monitor’s metrics. Go to the Metrics tab in the settings dialog.
Here you can see the list of metrics with their value types and display names. To add a metric, click the Add Metric button and fill in the new metric fields in the opened popup.
Click the Add button and your metric will be saved. Keep in mind that after adding/editing a metric you will have to make corresponding changes to the data source configuration to start receiving data for that metric.