What’s Wrong With The DOM?
- algorithms that do not scale well,
- every individual DOM change triggers its own reflow, even if it’s part of a group of changes (recent changes have implemented batching, which is a big help, but more is needed),
- the cascading nature of reflows (a change to one element can change many, many other elements),
- the impact of a simple query (asking the DOM a formatting question can trigger a non-batched reflow),
- the speed (or lack thereof) of the machine’s video subsystem, and
- reflows, more reflows, and yet more reflows.